Ribeiro Bonito

A nice 10km walk where you will be guided by four caches

Grutas do Paúl

A great set of amazing caves carved into the stone.

Boca das Voltas

Boca das Voltas is a secret viewpoint offering a great scenary. It is ideal to those who enjoy a nice walk in the middle of the forest.

Cais de São Jorge

An historic pier that was once the gate to the north of the island. A beautiful panoramic view at the tip of the pier.

Garganta Funda

A huge 140m waterfall hidden from the common muggle. A test to your corage and a great view at the end.

Arte de Portas Abertas

A simple, old street that was transformed into an art galery. This multicache makes you look closely at each door. Discover its secrets!

O Pescador do Arieiro

This is a funny multi with only two stages that can be done in a short period of time. The cache is located near Pico Arieiro and offers stunning views.

The Cliffs

This multi cache will take you to walk along cliffs that reach from 250m to 500m altitude. The trail will present you with beautiful landscapes and interesting geological phenomena.

segunda-feira, 20 de Janeiro de 2014

La ducha del Cochino @Ribeira do Porco


Esta cache irá te conduzir ao longo da Ribeira do Porco. Este curso de água nasce na Boca das Torrinhas (1430m) e é uma das mais caudalosas da ilha. A origem do seu nome é desconhecida mas deve-se provavelmente à importância destes animais para a subsistência dos locais. De acordo com o arrolamento do gado de 1893 haviam na freguesia cerca de 4060 porcos.

Mas se esta é a Ribeira do Porco, então onde é que ele toma o seu duche? Vamos descobrir...


ATENÇÃO:

- A dificuldade desta cache depende do caudal da ribeira. Analisa as condições e não arrisques.
- Não existe trilho. Deverás improvisar, tendo de atravessar várias vezes a ribeira.
- O percurso deverá ser feito apenas com boas condições climatéricas.
- Deverás levar água e comida, roupa e calçado apropriados (roupa extra para o caso de te molhares).
- A utilização de um bordão é recomendada.
- Ponte - Cache - Ponte: 2 km, 1h15m



This cache will guide you along the Ribeira do Porco (The Pig's River). This stream originates in Boca Torrinhas (1430m) and is one of the most torrential in the island. The origin of its name is unknown but is probably due to the importance of these animals for the livelihood of the locals. According to the enrollment of cattle in 1893 the parish had about 4060 pigs.

But if this is the Pig's River, then where does the pig takes his shower? Let's find out ...


ATTENTION:


- The difficulty of this cache depends on the flow of the stream. Analyze the conditions and don't take risks.
- There is no trail. You have to improvise, having to cross the river several times.
- The course must be done only with good weather conditions.
- You should bring water and food, clothing and appropriate footwear (extra clothing in case you get too wet).
- The use of walking poles is recommended.
- Bridge - Cached - Bridge: 2 km, 1h15m

quarta-feira, 20 de Novembro de 2013

The Pier

CAIS DA PONTA DO SOL


“O Século XIX foi, em vários aspectos, marcante na vida social do concelho da Ponta de Sol…. Depois de várias tentativas de melhorar o desembarque, a Câmara Municipal, auxiliada pelo trabalho braçal que os cabeças de casal eram obrigados a dar, construiu um cais. O Cais do Fojo foi, assim, uma autêntica dádiva para a evolução para Costa de Baixo. Em todo o lado, mesmo até no Funchal, os viajantes desembarcavam às costas dos barqueiros. Muitos deles eram homens sem escrúpulos e até com falta de educação. Nalguns casos, deixavam-se escorregar de trambolhão por cima das pedras, quando a carga que traziam ao ombro era do sexo feminino. Muitas senhoras detestavam viajar de barco para qualquer parte, porque não existia lugar cómodo para o desembarque. A Ponta de Sol passou a ter um cais em 1849, com o seu arco rasgando a paisagem como se fosse a entrada de um castelo de um conto de fadas…“



Segundo o projecto do engenheiro Tibério August Blanc foi mandado construir o tão ansiado cais, no ano de 1848, por iniciativa da Câmara Municipal.
A obra, que se arrastou por vários anos, foi baptizada de Duque Maximiliano de Leuchtenberg, pois é de crer que numa visita à Ponta do Sol este nobre ofereceu certa quantia para as despesas de construção do referido cais. Hoje em dia é mais conhecido como Cais do Fojo.
É de notar nesta obra o amplo, impressionante e bem concebido arco construído em aparelho de pedra basáltica à vista.
No início do cais podemos observar a antiga prisão escavada na rocha, agora transformada em restaurante, e a casa da guarda que lhe fica em frente.



Como não é novidade para ninguém, antes da haver as estradas de ligação entre os principais núcleos de povoamento, no século XIX e parte do XX, o principal meio de comunicação entre as vilas e o Funchal, e mesmo entre algumas localidades, era por via marítima, através dos vapores, cujo embarque e desembarque dos quais era feitos pelas lanchas, – termo então na origem do apelido Lancha/Lanchas, para nomear as pessoas do Funchal ou tão somente dai provenientes, que desembarcavam nas lanchas. A Ponta de Sol era nesses tempos o mais importante concelho da “Costa de Baixo” capitalizando um significativo conjunto de infraestruturas e serviços administrativos, comerciais e culturais que abrangiam toda uma circunscrição geográfica sul que incluía boa parte da actual Ribeira Brava.

Além de ter servido para o embarque e desembarque de pessoas e mercadorias em segurança, funcionou como troço do caminho real de ligação ao Lugar de Baixo que se rasgou na rocha posteriormente – notável porque apesar da voracidades das intempéries invernais até aos nossos dias chegou tornando-se um símbolo do próprio concelho e uma marca visível e venerável da arte de bem construir, cumprindo princípios técnicos de firmeza e utilidade aliados ao seu belo enquadramento com a paisagem ao seu redor.






















PONTA DO SOL PIER

"The nineteenth century was, in many ways, remarkable in the society of the Municipality of Ponta de Sol .... After several attempts to improve the landing, the City Council, aided by the manual labor that the heads of the couple were forced to give, built a pier. The Cais do Fojo was therefore a godsend for the evolution of the "Low Coast". Everywhere, even up in Funchal, travelers landed on the back of the boatmen. Many of them were unscrupulous men and even impolite. In some cases, they would let themselves slip over the rocks, when the load brought on their shoulders was female. Many ladies hated traveling by boat anywhere, because there was no convenient place for landing. Ponta do Sol started having a pier in 1849, with his bow ripping the landscape like the entrance of a castle from a fairy tale ... "



The eagerly awaited pier was built according to the project engineer Tibérios August Blanc in the year 1848, by the initiative of the Municipality.
The work, which dragged on for several years, was baptized as Duke Maximilian of Leuchtenberg as it is believed that in a visit to Ponta do Sol this noble offered a certain amount for the cost of building of this pier. Nowadays it is known as Cais do Fojo.
It is noted in this work the large, impressive and well-designed arch built with basaltic rock in sight. 
At the beginning of the pier we can observe the old prison carved into the rock, now converted into a restaurant, and the guardhouse that lies ahead.



As it is not news to anyone, before having the roads linking the major population centers, in the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries, the primary means of communication between the villages and Funchal, and even among some localities, was by sea through the vapors, whose embarkation and disembarkation of which was made ​​by "lanchas" (motor boats) - the term is then at the origin of the nickname "lanchas", to appoint people of Funchal or solely derived therefrom, which landed in "lanchas". Ponta do Sol was at this time the most important county of the "Low Coast" capitalizing on a significant set of infrastructures and administrative, commercial and cultural  services, covering an entire geographic south disctrict which included much of the current Ribeira Brava.

Apart from having served for the embarkation and disembarkation of passengers and goods safely, it worked as section of the royal road that connected to the Lugar de Baixo, that was later drilled on the rock. It is remarkable because despite the voracidades of wintry weather, it became a symbol of the county itself and a visible and venerable mark of the art of building properly, fulfilling technical principles of firmness and utility allied to its beautiful environment with the landscape around it.

Into the Wild

SEMAGRAL - INTO THE WILD




Flag Counter


Lost










Translation: 

LOST




FTF: dandrade, Hugo Pita, Martim Andrade, tojoliveira, Elvio alpHa, ruben&alexandra, escorcios



STF: ricardomariagoncas, horticalheta, residencial.pordosol, cicerocastro, RicardoGonçalvesrady, Gonçalinho



TTF: ...


sexta-feira, 11 de Outubro de 2013

Cabeço do Guilherme / Slot Ter Hooge










Translation: 

CABEÇO DO GUILHERME / SLOT TER HOOGE


Esta cache de acesso simples está localizada perto de um marco geodésico e irá te proporcionar uma boa paisagem para a costa norte e para os principais picos da ilha.

This cache with a simple access is located near a geodesic landmark and will provide you with a good landscape to the north coast and the main peaks of the island.


Aos teus pés terás a enseada do Porto do Guilherme.
Foi em 19 de Novembro de 1724 que o navio Slot ter Hooge, da Companhia Holandesa das Índias Orientais - Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie, regressado de Batavia, na actual Indonésia, com destino a Amesterdão, naufragou na ilha do Porto Santo, no arquipélago da Madeira. Ao se aproximar de Portugal, uma tempestade alterou o curso do navio e na impossibilidade de corrigir a sua rota, embateu nas rochas da costa norte do Porto Santo. Em poucos minutos o navio desapareceu na a enseada do Porto do Guilherme. Dos 254 passageiros a bordo, apenas 33 se salvaram.
O navio carregava baús com barras e moedas de prata.
A Companhia Holandesa das Índias Orientais esperava recuperar grande parte da sua carga. Com esse objectivo contactaram o Inglês John Lethbridge. Lethbridge tinha desenvolvido um mecanismo de mergulho que parecia um barril com tamanho suficiente para caber um homem. Deitado face ao fundo marinho, o operador podia executar manobras de pequena amplitude com os braços, que saíam através de vedantes em cabedal, para fixação de cabos e âncoras aos bens recuperáveis. 

O seu trabalho foi bem sucedido e um ano mais tarde já havia recuperado 349 das 1500 barras de prata, algumas moedas e dois canhões. Ele continuou por mais cinco anos e no final, apenas 250 barras de prata e algumas moedas continuaram desaparecidas.

250 anos mais tarde o Belga Robert Sténuit descobriu numa foto de um artefacto antigo, as coordenadas do naufrágio. Depois de negociar e chegar a acordo com o governo holandês e português, iniciou em 1975 as suas buscas juntamente com uma equipa de 4 mergulhadores.

Quando terminou, Sténuit recuperou uma colecção incrível de artefactos, moedas e barras de prata.
Uma pequena parte do espólio do Sloot ter Hooge recuperado em 1974 permaneceu na Casa Colombo – Museu de Porto Santo. Retomados alguns mergulhos na década de 1980, foram recuperados mais artefactos, hoje conservados na ala de reservas do Museu Quinta das Cruzes, no Funchal.



At your feet you'll have the inlet of Porto do Guilherme (Port William).
It was on November 19, 1724 that the ship Slot ter Hooge, from the Dutch East India Company - Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie, returned to Batavia in the current Indonesia , bound for Amsterdam, shipwrecked on the island of Porto Santo in the Madeira archipelago. When approaching Portugal, a storm changed the ship's course and it crashed on the rocks of the north coast of Porto Santo. In a few minutes the ship disappeared into the inlet of Port William. Of the 254 passengers aboard, only 33 were saved.



The ship was carrying chests with bars and silver coins.
The Dutch East India Company hoped to regain much of its cargo. Therefore they contacted the English John Lethbridge. Lethbridge had developed a diving mechanism that looked like a barrel large enough to fit a man. Laying over the seabed, the operator could perform small range maneuvers with their arms, that came through leather seals, for fastening cables and anchors to recoverable objects. Their work was successful and a year later he had recovered 349 of 1500 bars of silver, some coins and two cannons. He continued for five years and in the end only 250 silver bars and some coins remained missing.

250 years later the Belgian Robert Sténuit found in a photo of an ancient artifact, the coordinates of the shipwreck. After negotiating and reaching an agreement with the Dutch and Portuguese government, he began his search in 1975 along with a team of 4 divers.
When finished, Stenuit recovered an incredible collection of artifacts, coins and silver bars.
A small part of the collection stayed at Casa Colombo - Museu de Porto Santo.
In some recent dives in the 1980s, more artifacts were recovered and are preserved today in the reservation wing in Museum Quinta das Cruzes, Funchal.







Recuperação de um canhão de bronze do naufrágio do Slot ter
Hooge no Porto do Guilherme, Porto Santo, em 1974.
(Foto: Bill Curtsinger, National Geographic Society)

Recovery of a bronze cannon from the shipwreck of the Slot ter Hooge in Porto do Guilerme, Porto Santo in 1974.
(Photo: Bill Curtsinger, National Geographic Society)












Parte do espólio recuperado pelo mergulhador belga Robert Sténuit em 1974. National Geographic Society.

Part of the objects recovered by Belgian diver Robert Sténuit in 1974. National Geographic Society.










Interpretação do resgate de Lethbridge na ilha do Porto Santo em 1724.
(Desenho de Pierre Mion, National Geographic Society)


Interpretation of Lethbridge's rescue on the island of Porto Santo in 1724.
(Drawing by Pierre Mion, National Geographic Society)












Ilustrações a partir de gravuras numa caneca gravada, contemporânea de Lethbridge, com mapa do sítio de naufrágio e o barril de mergulho utilizado nos resgates subaquáticos:


Illustrations from prints engraved in a mug, contemporary of Lethbridge, with a map of the wreck site and the diving barrel used in underwater rescues:









FTF: RicardoGonçalvesrady / LisaJardim
STF: k2yak
TTF: camane


free counters

Geocaching Video